graduate school internships & externships
ihi offers a fully-rounded program of internships and externships for second year social work students (MSW), second year mental health counseling students (MHC) and second, third or fourth year psychology and counseling students (Ph.D., Psy.D.).
Our university affiliations include Columbia, Fordham, Hunter, John Jay College, Brooklyn College, Touro, Long Island University, NYU, Yeshiva, among other graduate social work, psychology, mental health and counseling programs.
The internship/externship program includes experience in providing psychotherapy, individual and group supervision, a weekly seminar program with guest lecturers, and experience in counseling and community outreach. If interested, contact Benet Hennessey, MA, Ed.M, Student Coordinator, 212-243-2830.
ihi periodically conducts conferences on mental health issues that include workshops, forums, and plenary sessions. Previous conferences have addressed such issues as
- Confronting Religious Beliefs of Clients and Therapists
- Attitudes to S & M and Other Sexual Practices,
- Treatment of Self-Injurious Behaviors
- LGBTQ Families: Issues and Psychotherapy
- Psychotherapy Perspectives on Gender, Transgender and Beyond
- Critical Issues in Transgender Therapies
Among conference co-sponsors have been the International School for Mental Health Practitioners, John Jay College - CUNY, GMHC, and other organizations. CE credits are usually available for conference attendees.
Call or email us to be placed on our mailing list for announcements of upcoming programs and calls for papers.
Clinical seminars for mental health professionals are offered on topics such as gender issues, and new therapy techniques among others. Past series have included:
- Sex Therapy with Lesbian Couples
- Hidden Manifestations of Homophobia in Working with Gay Men
- Eroticized Transference and Countertransference
- Bisexual Women and Men in Families
- Gender Performance: Aggression, Admiration or Satire